Reduce your costs and cut carbon emissions
For more information go to the Community Ownership Support Service website
The Community Empowerment Action Plan published jointly by the Scottish Government and COSLA in March 2009 established community ownership as key to their commitment to Community Empowerment.
Following the success of the initial 2-year Promoting Asset Transfer programme (see below), the Scottish Government in 2011, is standing by it's recognition of asset ownership being key to community empowerment, by continuing to fund DTAS’ role in advancing this important agenda. Establishing a Community Ownership Support Service (COSS) will enable us to expand our work over the last 2 years with both community groups and local authorities to explore and advance effective transfer of local authority assets to community ownership.
Through our team of advisers the Community Ownership Support Service can offer Scotland-wide support and advice including:
• Expert advice on all aspects of asset transfer
• Training seminars on the asset transfer and asset development process
• Sign-posting to other relevent support agencies
• A comprehensive web resource including information on good practice, toolkits and case studies.
Communities will also have the opportunity to link into the DTAS network to explore the wide range of business models being adopted by other communities throughout Scotland and across the UK.
For Local Authorities:
A bespoke advice and support service focussed on community asset transfer which could:
• Assist Council staff in developing or revising the asset transfer strategy for your authority. This could take the form of discussion, workshops, resources, study visits, and good practice examples.
• Provide an independent review of an authority’s current policy and practice on asset transfer, identifying priority areas for development.
• Provide training sessions with elected members and/or council staff (key officials or cross departmental) to explore various strategic, operational and practical aspects of asset transfer.
• Provide bespoke training for community organisations within your local authority area to build their capacity to explore and take forward ownership of local assets.
For more information or to discuss how we can help you contact the Community Ownership Support Service on 0131 225 2080 or email coss [at] dtascot [dot] org [dot] uk
DTAS has just completed a very successful two year programme of work around the transfer of assets between local authorities and communities funded by the Scottish Government. Lankelly Chase also contributed towards the costs of the demonstration project element of the programme. The Promoting Assets Transfer programme formed part of the implementation strategy for the Community Empowerment Action Plan which was published jointly by the Scottish Government and COSLA in March 2009.
The aim of the programme was to increase the community ownership of assets by encouraging and supporting local authorities and community groups to achieve fair and effective transfer of local authority assets to community organisations within a wider strategy of community empowerment and local community asset development.
There were 3 components of the programme: